Warburton eyeing bigger prize after win

The All Blacks had the job half done last week, the British and Irish Lions squared the ledger in Wellington, but the big prize remains up for grabs.

苏州美甲培训学校

That’s how Lions skipper Sam Warburton sees the situation as his side heads into Saturday’s series decider at Eden Park.

Recalled to the starting XV, flanker Warburton was a nuisance at the breakdown for the 14-man All Blacks all night, and made 10 tackles to boot.

Yet the Welshman told reporters he didn’t even celebrate after the final whistle of the Lions’ 24-21 triumph in Wellington – it was simply a case of evening up the scores before Saturday’s final showdown.

“I’m glad we’re taking it to Eden Park next week but I’d genuinely only be happy if we get that Test series win,” Warburton said.

“We’ll have to be prepared for a tougher encounter next week, we’ll be against 15 blokes most likely and have to step it up again.

“You can talk all the tactics in the world but sometimes it’s just down to a bit of desire to get off your line and win some shots, some collisions.”

In a congested global rugby calendar, the Lions brand has come under renewed attack in recent months, particularly from club bosses in the UK and Ireland who are loath to lose their best players without compensation.

Warburton hoped victory against the world’s best Test side would silence some of those critics, and restore legitimacy to the red jumper.

“Regardless of what happens, we’re going to definitely come back with some credibility in the Lions going forward, keeping the reputation of that – but I’ll only be happy if there’s a series win,” the 28-year-old said.

“For players, we can’t stress enough how important the Lions is for us personally, it’s the absolute pinnacle of our careers.

“Every single player in the British Isles will say they want it to happen – you do feel that responsibility when you play (and) to get wins in Test matches, it keeps hopes alive for the fans as well.”

Kaino accepts early Test substitution

He was the All Blacks’ sacrificial lamb after Sonny Bill Williams’ sending-off, but veteran flanker Jerome Kaino says he can completely understand why he was substituted.

苏州美甲培训学校

The 34-year-old was removed after just 26 minutes against the British and Irish Lions, making way for Ngani Laumape after Williams was given his marching orders for a high shoulder charge on Anthony Watson.

The move to slot Laumape in at second-five and play with seven forwards appeared to pay dividends, as the All Blacks gave themselves a nine-point second-half buffer.

But late tries to Taulupe Faletau and Conor Murray, as well as a 78th-minute Owen Farrell penalty goal, condemned them to a 24-21 loss.

Kaino appeared upset as he exited the field for Laumape in what was his 80th Test match, but said post-game that he accepted the decision.

He made three tackles and a single carry before his substitution.

“To get our strikes going we need a full back line, and I kind of knew someone would have to go off,” Kaino told reporters.

“The coaches decided it was me. It was an early game, but you’ve got to trust what the coaches see and how they view things.”

Kaino added that Williams would likely feel despondent in the coming days, as the All Blacks’ attack stuttered in his absence.

He was certain Williams wouldn’t deliberately target Watson’s head.

The All Blacks, most likely without Williams, will now head to Auckland for next weekend’s series decider at Eden Park, and Kaino said he couldn’t wait to make amends for the side’s first home loss in eight years.

“It’s why you play the game, for these occasions,” Kaino said.

Qld govt hails ID scanners a success

The introduction of ID scanners at nightlife hot spots across Queensland has been hailed a success following the first night of operation.

苏州美甲培训学校

Almost 90,000 partygoers had their details recorded at 180 venues in 15 precincts across the state on Saturday.

Attorney-General Yvette D’Ath said only seven people unsuccessfully tried to breach a banning order, while police issued another 35.

“Those 35 banning notices would’ve been showing up on every ID scanner system in a licensed venue across the state, within those safe night precincts, within an hour,” she said on Sunday.

Those revellers were based in Rockhampton, the Gold Coast and Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley.

Ms D’Ath said there were also no sexual assaults and just three assaults recorded in those areas.

“This is significantly down from previous numbers,” she said.

Acting Assistant Commissioner Brent Carter said the number of people arrested for drunken offences was just 50.

“It’s a real change in behaviour,” he said on Sunday.

“Based on last night I have a great deal of confidence we’re going to see a good reduction in violence.

“We’ve now got a measure where people can’t just go back into venues when they’ve been banned.”

Ms D’Ath said it was “no secret” some venues would have preferred not to have had the ID scanners installed, but she was pleased all but two operators in the 15 precincts had decided to sign up.

She said they would have the opportunity to sign up at a later date, as would any other venue across Queensland.

While there were some complaints about long lines outside pubs and clubs, Ms D’Ath said that was largely due to staff familiarising themselves with the system.

‘Moving past stereotypes’: Fresh calls for more diversity in the Australian arts

There are calls for new initiatives to increase cultural diversity in the Australian arts.

苏州美甲培训学校

Short film ‘The Subtractor’ tells the story of a Hollywood director who comes to Australia to cast an Asian actor as the lead in a superhero film.

Director and producer Maria Tran said the film was a tongue-in-cheek look at the lack of representation of diversity in film.

She told SBS World News: “Asians are always playing the stereotypes of gangstas, nerds, prostitutes – we want to move past those stereotypes and show people that we’re not just an ethnicity.”

The 2016 Census showed as many as 49 per cent of Australians were first or second-generation migrants.

But a review by the Australia Council for the Arts found that only eight per cent of professional artists in Australia were from culturally diverse backgrounds.

Diversity Arts Australia’s Lena Nahlous said that figure was compared to 16 per cent across the total Australian workforce.

“If people don’t see representations of themselves, or stories about them, then it isn’t really relevant for them,” she said.

“It isn’t really building a really strong cohesive society.”

Aruna Gandhi came to Australia on an exceptional talent visa, as a practitioner of a classical Indian dance.

“Bharatanatyam is a very beautiful dance style which is thousands of years old from India,” she said.

“We use a lot of hand gestures and facial expressions and we communicate stories, thoughts and ideas.”

She said she struggled to secure arts funding, or be given a platform to be seen by mainstream audiences.

“If bharatanatyam can be presented, for example at the Opera House as part of the mainstream arts festivals, then that would be a success for us.”

Related reading

Horn boxing win puts ‘Brisbane on the map’

Queensland Tourism Minister Kate Jones says Jeff Horn’s fairytale boxing win over Manny Pacquaio has “put Brisbane on the map”.

苏州美甲培训学校

The local school teacher defied the odds to upstage the Filipino champion in front of nearly 52,000 at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Ms Jones, who welcomed Horn with a hug and a kiss as he took to the stage for the post-bout press conference, said spectators had been treated to a “magic” event”.

“It just doesn’t get better than this,” she told reporters on Sunday.

“Our hometown boy has now put Brisbane on the map.”

Ms Jones said it was the largest crowd Pacquaio had ever fought in front of.

She said the pay per view numbers from around the world wouldn’t be known until Monday, but so far they were “pretty happy”.

Earlier this year the tourism minister confirmed the state government had made a “significant contribution” in order to bring the fight to Queensland.

Ms Jones refused to be drawn on exactly how much had been outlaid for the sporting spectacle, but said it would inject $24 million into the local economy.

Both Ms Jones and Brisbane City Council Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said they were open to the idea of hosting a rematch.

Promoter Bob Arum said there was a rematch clause and if it occurred it had to be in Brisbane.

“Manny’s future is still up in the air,” he told the post-match press confrence Sunday.

“It’s unfair to ask him today, let a week go by and we’ll figure it out.”

Fans descending on Suncorp Stadium on Sunday were urged to take public transport, as extra bus services were put on to cater for demand.

A TransLink spokesman told AAP there had been no issues for people as they made their way to the ground.